2010 Program Highlights
Student Performances: Night of Eloquence 2010
Symposium I: February 09, 2010, Rodney Gilbert, Founder of Yendor Productions, Adjunct Professor of Theatre Arts, Drew University
This interactive and engaging workshop brought together kids from all over the Greater Newark Area to work together on team building and communication activities.
Symposium II: March 11, 2010, Rhonda Wilson-Duncan, TD Bank
Stand & Deliver participants participated in an interactive financial literacy workshop— which dealt with issues such as saving for a special purchase, lines of credit, and needs versus wants. Students visited breakout rooms on different topics and were awarded prizes for participation.
Symposium III: April 20,2010, Leadership All Stars
Students presented individual and group performances. 31 individuals and 12 groups performed—for a total of 110 student performers. Ten individuals and four groups were selected as Leadership All Stars. Each individual and group performer selected as Leadership All Stars were awarded a prize.
May 18, 2010: Eleventh Annual “Night of Eloquence” at Nanina’s in the Park
- The Eleventh Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Leadership Award was given to Assembly Speaker Sheila Y. Oliver and St. Benedict’s Prep Headmaster Father Ed Leahy
- Communication Excellence scholarships were awarded to graduating seniors who submitted essays on a person who inspired them
- 7 individuals and 2 groups performed. Student performers were as follows:
- Emery Ahoua (Senior, St. Benedict’s Prep)
- Donya Bunn (Senior, American History High School)
- Nycekka Childs (Senior, American History High School)
- Nanyamka King (Senior, NPS Student Center)
- Kathi Lloyd (Senior, University High School)
- Nyasia Montalvo (Sophomore, La Casa de Don Pedro)
- Bruce Vereen- Nealous (Senior, St. Benedict’s Prep)
- West Side High School: Team Victorious II
- Robert Treat Academy: NASSA
2010 Summer Leadership Institute
Beginning the week of July 5, 2010, over a 6-week period, over 200 students from the following organizations participated in Stand & Deliver’s summer program: New Community Corporation, Greater Newark Conservancy, La Casa de Don Pedro, NJIT College Bound/ NJ GEAR UP Program, the New Jersey Community Development Corporation (NJCDC) and the Central Jersey Community Development Corporation.