one-hour Families in Focus special looks at the challenges
and rewards of foster care. Children who enter the foster
program out of abusive situations are particularly vulnerable
and in need of support. This program addresses these multifaceted
needs of the over 13,000 children currently in out-of-home
placement who very often are coming from families where
they have experienced serious neglect and/or abuse. Psychological
issues of these children are addressed, as well as the need
to create stability and provide a continuum of care. We
highlight initiatives that are aimed at providing assistance
to children and young adults in the foster care system.
For Information on becoming a foster
parent in NJ
877- NJ - FOSTER
- Cecilia Zalkind - Executive Director of the Association
for Children of New Jersey, an organization providing
a much-needed voice for New Jersey's children.
- Dr. Anthony D'Urso - A clinical psychologist and Supervisor
at the Audrey Hepburn Children's House at Hackensack University
- Donna Younkin - Assistant Director of the Division of
Youth and Family Services for the New Jersey Department
of Human Services.
- Janet Farrand - A foster parent and President of Foster
and Adoptive Family Services, a statewide organization
which advocates for foster families.
- Arburta Jones - Chief of Staff for the New Jersey Office
of the Child Advocate.